The journey into effective use of assessment must be marked by patience and a long view to the horizon. When viewed as measurement discipline for a business process called staffing, it brings to mind the time frame required to implement other strategic measurement systems.
It does not happen overnight. However, the dawn of a new day, with the prospect of positive business transformation can be beautiful.
The design-build-validation cycle requires about five to six months:
- Six weeks to collect job analysis data and define the assessment specifications
- Six weeks to build the validation version of the assessment
- Six weeks to have hundreds of incumbents and performance rating managers complete the data collection
- Six weeks to conduct the analysis, document results, and prepare for implementation.
- Return on Investment
To document tangible results – measurable ROI – requires several business cycles to occur:
Hire a statistically significant number of new associates
- Allow enough time to transpire so that proficient on-the-job performance metrics can be observed, collected, and analyzed.
- The relationship among assessment scores and new hire performance can then be examined, shared (and celebrated!).
- Recruiter/Hiring Manager behaviors can be reinforced or coached and corrected with the support of evidence.
Anecdotal insights and observation begin immediately – both pro and con. Change management must be sustained over time. The consistent caliber of new hires will be evident immediately through observation-based comparisons. The stream of new hires begins to deliver at a significant level as they achieve full competence and proficiency.
For the impact to contribute to business transformation – six months to multiple years, a high need for immediate gratification is not addressed with a new employee selection system.
Having a partnership that values patience and a long view of what may lay beyond the horizon is essential.
We would be happy to discuss our experience making the journey of staffing process improvement with you.